Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) causes cold-like signs and symptoms such as a runny nose, congestion, sneezing and sinus pressure. Unlike a cold, hay fever isn’t caused by a virus. Hay fever is caused by an allergic response to outdoor and/or indoor allergens, such as pollen, dust mites or pet dander.
Allergies are the body’s immune system over-reacting to normally harmless substances known as allergens. The immune system makes antibodies to protect you from bacterial or other infections. Although allergens are harmless, the body identifies them as dangerous, creating antibodies which cause a variety of inflammatory reactions. These may include skin disorders (rashes or eczema), respiratory problems (hay fever or even asthma), or digestive discomforts. Allergens may originate from:
· Environmental: molds, dust, pollen from trees, flowers, grasses, etc.
· Animals: hair, dander, urine, dust mites, etc.
· Foods: lactose, gluten, nuts, corn, soy, etc.
· Insect bites. Some develop allergic reactions after multiple instances of bee stings and other insect bites.
The anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine and anti-allergenic healing properties of some essential oils can be extremely helpful in reducing the uncomfortable symptoms of hay fever.
Methods of Use:
Molds and fungus: You can place several drops of Melaleuca, Lemongrass, Purify or OnGuard on an air intake filter every time it is changed to fight against allergy causing molds and fungi. Diffusing any of the oils mentioned above helps reduce reactions to allergens, mold, and fungi. A neti pot cleansing with one drop of Melaleuca will help fight fungal infections in your nasal cavities.
Bug Bites: Lavender, Purify, Lemongrass, Roman Chamomile and Peppermint can be very soothing to bug bites. Just dab a bit of one of these oils on the bite every few hours until inflammation goes down.
Airborne allergens: The frequency of application will depend on the severity of the allergens. Use as often as needed to eliminate the symptoms.
- Put 1 drop each of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint on your tongue or mix the oils in a ¼ cup of juice or water, swish 10-20 seconds in the mouth and swallow. *For children greatly reduce the dosage and heavily dilute by adding the oils to a locally made honey help the medicine go down!
- Just one drop of Lavender on the tongue each time you feel the symptoms will help with extreme hay fever.
- A soothing cold washcloth over the eyes becomes all the more puffy / itchy eye reducing when a drop of lavender and/or roman chamomile is added.
- One drop of Peppermint and/or Frankincense on either side of the temples will reduce the discomfort of headaches.
Dust mites, lice, fleas: This would be especially useful in bathrooms and laundry rooms. Make a water spritz of Lemongrass, Lavender, Peppermint or other oils to spritz on your bedding each time it is made to help exterminate uninvited dust mites, lice, and fleas. Add a few drops of Purify every time you wash your sheets.
Digestive Discomfort: Digestzen is a wonderful oil to turn to in case of a digestive issue including the accidental intake of food item that you are allergic to. Lemongrass is said to be helpful in easing the discomfort of lactose intolerance. A drop on the tummy, bottom of feet or in a glass of water.
Skin Discomfort & Rashes: Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, and Peppermint may be soothing to all sorts of skin rashes. When in doubt put lavender on it! If you have sensitive skin consider using a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil or olive oil.
In all cases consider:
- Applying the same oils to the feet morning and night.
- Receiving an Aroma Touch treatment at least once per week. This treatment can be very cleansing and supportive to the immune system.
- Reducing your intake of allergen type foods like dairy, sugar, wheat, etc.
- Diffusing cleansing oils like (purify, lemon, grapefruit, peppermint, lemongrass, lavender) in bedrooms and other areas of the home to reduce pollens and allergens.
To purchase these amazing oils from doTERRA visit my online store
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you experience a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) please seek immediate medical attention.